Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Sarah Reviews: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Heavenly Fire
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 725
Publishing Company: McElderry Books
Publication Date: May 27, 2014
ISBN: 9781442416895
My Rating:
 
Synopsis:*spoilers if you have not read The Mortal Instrument books preceding this one*

In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!

Review:
Who could've asked for a better way to end this series? It was beautiful, perfect, and a whopping 725 pages long!!! I stayed up until 4 in the morning two nights in a row because I could not put this book down. It was worth the lack of sleep. So let's get right into it!

This book had so many twists and turns. Although it did a nice job of wrapping up our character's stories, it felt a lot like a prequel to Cassandra Clare's series The Dark Artifices, which takes place 5 years later and follows Emma Carstairs who we are introduced to in CoHF. I loved Emma and can't wait to see her story. The aftermath of this book sets up nicely for the next series.

I also thought however, that to me the ending was predictable. I guessed how it would end easily and wasn't surprised with the outcome...only with how it was delayed. But there were also moments that shocked me, or where I laughed, smiled, and definitely had lots of tears.

Cassandra Clare's books are different because I find them to be more character driven. I loved the character development in this book. It was heartwarming to see how far these characters have come after 6 books and how they finally have a reached a happy place because after all the s*** they've been through they deserve it. I laughed when Jordan tried to help Jace meditate to control the heavenly fire except that Jace finds peace from weapons. Typical...

SPOILERS BELOW

Quick fangirl moment, I was so ecstatic when Jace decided he would officially be a Herondale. THE TEARS!! When Tessa then gave Clary the Herondale ring for Jace, I was squealing!! I loved how Jem was able to give Jace advice and all the reference to TID. I'm also excited because it looks like we will be seeing Jem and Tessa in TDA! EXCITEMENT!!! I still can't believe Jace and Clary are going to be Herondales and omg that cave scene...I can't even.

Thank you Cassandra Clare for such an amazing journey over 6 stunning books. I will miss these characters immensely but hopefully we will get to hear more about their adventures in her upcoming series! Yay!

Peace. Love. Read On.
xoxo Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment